Home | About IJMPO | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact us |  Login 
Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology
Search Article 
  
Advanced search 
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 34  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 234-237

Cisplatin based chemotherapy in patients with advanced differentiated thyroid carcinoma refractory to I131 treatment


1 Department of Internal Medicine, Ziv Medical Center, Safed; Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Bar Ilan University, Galilee, Israel
2 Department of Oncology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
3 Department of Oncology, Ziv Medical Center, Safed, Israel

Correspondence Address:
Jamal Zidan
Ziv Medical Center, POB 1008, Zefat 13100
Israel
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0971-5851.125233

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The purpose of the study was to evaluate the activity and toxicity of cisplatin based chemotherapy in patients with advanced differentiated thyroid cancer refractory to radioactive iodine (I131). Patients and Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the records of 20 patients with advanced thyroid cancer treated with cyclophosphamide 500 mg/m 2 on day 1, doxorubicin 50 mg/m 2 day 1 and cisplatin 50 mg/m 2 day 1 of a 21 days cycle community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) or the same regimens without cyclophosphamide adriamycin and Platinum (AP). Results: Median age of patients was 65 years (range 54-80). The majority of patients had lung metastases (60%). 4 (20%) patients achieved a partial response. Stable disease was achieved in 6 (30%) patients. Overall clinical response was 50%. Mean follow-up time was 8 months (range 4-17). Mean progression free survival was 6 months (range 3-12). Mean overall survival was 9 months (range 4-17). Patients with partial remission had a mean time to disease progression of 9 months. 4 (20%) patients had Grade 3 or 4 neutropenia. One patient had febrile neutropenia. Mild neuropathy was recorded in 5 (25%) of patients. There were no treatment related deaths. Conclusion: The combination of CAP is active in the treatment of advanced thyroid cancer with tolerable toxicity. This regimen may still be used in patients who could not be treated with targeted therapy or combined with antiangiogenic drugs in future studies.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1516    
    Printed32    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded1729    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal